Friday, March 7, 2008

Big Brother Is Watching

Yesterday as I watched coverage of the bombing of the military recruiting office in New York City, I saw the photographs of the bomber approach the building. It bothered me even though I know cameras are all around us. I wonder if those cameras will become 'Big Brother.'

I support whatever it takes to defeat terrorism. However, I am concerned that one day terrorism will be interpreted to include the activities in our lives that we take for granted. I wonder what will happen with a federal government that wants to control more and more of our lives, Will attending church be considered a terrorist activity or bad for society? What about smoking or home-schooling or having a carbon footprint too large?

I trust the Bush administration to respect our right to privacy, but I wouldn't trust any liberal administration. That may seem biased but it's liberals who don't seem to trust an individual to make choices for himself. Which is why they are bent on expanding a federal government where the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. It only takes a liberal federal judiciary to redefine privacy that limits just about everything we do.

We need to be vigilant and vocal about our right to privacy and elect conservative representatives who will respect and defend our right to privacy. We need to elect a President who will appoint Supreme Court Justices who are strict constructionists of the Constitution and who won't redefine privacy. Or we may find Big Brother watching us.

1 comment:

Paradise said...

This is a very thoughtful and intelligent article. We walk a fine line in trying to protect the American people and at the same time not interfering with individual rights. I think this will be an issue for conservatives for a long time. How do we protect ourselves without giving up the right to privacy.